Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Do you wish you could see the stars where you live too?

Stars original is by Patrick Hoesly on Flickr.









I love the stars. I think a lot of my readers do, too.

I wish I could see them at night, all the time.

I know you have to be OUT of the city (or pretty far out) because city lights obscure the sky. I also know that there are fewer and fewer places where you can actually see the full sky, horizon to horizon.

This weekend is another fun meteor show. It is the Leonid Meteor Shower. It isn't huge, but there WILL be meteors in the sky from time to time. I don't think I will see any. But one of these days!

Luckily, where I live, there is a FREE planetarium that gives great shows, and gives me a bit of the "hold on tight, this earth is flying through space" feeling.

But there's nothing like the real thing, seeing the Milky Way overhead or some beautiful constellations.

starry night of Yuzhu by livepine on Flickr.











Too many people have too many lights going on, I feel. It's light pollution, really.

If you are lucky enough to be in a dark enough area, do check out the star show this weekend. I'm still deciding whether or not to move somewhere - well, DARKER. This could still be in the country (I'm thinking: Kentucky or Wisconsin maybe) but it could also be near a desert. Think: no lights.

On the other hand, a new home might be on an ocean. But that probably would mean a lot of seasickness, because my new home could be a BOAT, but not a big one, and most certainly NOT an island.

Oh well. ::::heavy sigh::::

For now, I can dream!

:-)

All for now,
Betsyanne

Via Yahoo: Leonid Meteor Shower to Shine in Weekend Sky

Needless Light Pollution - what can you do?

Fight Light Pollution - by the Astromax site

The International Dark Sky Association
 
My Personal Page and blog
The Nontrads site and blog
My Squidoo pages
Join me on my Fan Page on Facebook
Join me on Twitter as @betsyanne or @nontrads

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments! I would love that.