Wednesday, January 10, 2007

A Voyage of Discovery


Isn't he cute? He reminds me of the frog we found under the pool ladder last summer. He seemed to like it there! This one looks to be in a bird house. I love his eyes.

Well. I am getting acclimated and am finding some super-great things to do. #1: I am going to learn how to make and post PODCASTS. I think this will come in very handy for future classes and also for tutoring or online classes.

#2: I am going to make some videos and post them online as well. I have seen some good and bad ones, and put some on the class pages this semester.

About videos online: I just saw a really good video about prejudice against overweight people that I really liked. It is here on youtube.

I think that this is such a good video. I don't see how overweight people are ever going to lose their extra weight if people treat them so badly day after day. The author is right - people just don't respect others who are overweight and sometimes treat them very badly.

And what happens then? Some overweight people will react by eating more - because eating for some people lessens their stress! And others will react by withdrawing from life.

I think that a lot of people have things wrong with them that others can readily see -- (like being overweight) -- still others have problems INSIDE -- and people can't see these as readily. In other words, some people can easily HIDE their disabilities. What makes a disability that is hidden better than one that shows? And who is perfect? Nobody.

I think it comes down to the surface. I used to think that I could easily see what was going on in most situations. Did I really? NO. I could only see what was on the surface, NOT what was really going on, many times. People have hidden agendas -- they can have a home life that is just awful -- that can influence how they act. The truth of a person's life -- of their situation -- doesn't show up on the surface, most of the time. The trick is to keep an open mind, and not to judge too harshly. Also, for many reasons, people can see things totally different from each other -- and have good reasons for that.

I like the saying, truth has 3 sides - yours, mine, and something MAYBE true - that is in-between. I think "seeing the gray" in things, instead of quickly jumping to conclusions - is something that has taken me a LONG time to learn.

I think it's high time that people realized that nobody in this world is perfect. I believe that we all need to get along and respect each other on life's journey. Cutting others down for our own ends or to make ourself feel better is not right.


It sure would make life easier for everyone if everyone respected each other and helped each other out. It isn't always easy for other people -- even if they seem to be doing fine -- and even if everything seems to be going great for them.

I really do think we as human beings only see the bare top of the surface most of the time about most situations. I know I still do. I have to consciously THINK about it -- do I know all the facts? Most of the time, the answer is no. What jumps to mind isn't always the truth. To discover what others are thinking can be an impossible task. Why did so-and-so do that? What was his or her true goal? A person can get hung up on that. Sometimes the best thing to do is just to take your mind off of an impossible task like that and put it on something useful instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add your comments! I would love that.